Today is the feast of Pentecost which the Jews celebrated fifty days after the Passover. It is the birthday of our Church, when Jesus sent his Holy Spirit to the disciples just as he promised.
When we celebrate our birthday we receive cards and presents from our family and friends. It is a special day for us because it is the day we were born. Pentecost is the day we celebrate the start of a new beginning for the Church. We have a new hope for the whole of creation. Jesus said;
“Let your goodness shine out like a light in the darkness, so that through you, the love of our heavenly Father will touch the lives of others.”
“May the love of God’s spirit burn in our hear”
St John tells the story of how Jesus gave the gift of the Holy Spirit to his friends:
On the first day of Pentecost day after Jesus ascended into heaven, his friends, the apostles, all met in one room. Suddenly they heard what sounded like a powerful wind from heaven. The noise filled the whole house where they were sitting; something appeared to them that seemed like tongues of fire; the flames separated and came to rest on the head of each apostle. They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak in many languages as the Spirit gave them the gift of speech. At that time there were people of many different nations living in Jerusalem; they were amazed because everyone heard the apostles speak in their own language. They said “We hear them preaching in our own language about the wonders of God”
THE GOSPEL given to us by St. John. :
The disciples were filled with joy at seeing the Lord. Jesus said to them, “Peace be with you. As the Father sent me, so I send you. “Jesus breathed on them and said “Receive the Holy Spirit”.
· How do you think the disciples felt when they heard the mysterious wind?
· In the Gospel, what did Jesus do to his friends before he said “Receive the Holy Spirit” – Jesus breathed over them. What would happen if we had no breath?
· Jesus breathed new life into his friends – the life of the Holy Spirit.
· How else did the Spirit appear? – as small flickering flames which rested above their heads. If you saw flames you would probably panic and try to put them out. But these were not ordinary flames they were signs of warmth and love coming to fill the lives of the disciples.
· How did the Spirit change the disciples? – It gave them courage and allowed them to work miracles, even to speaking in other languages.
· When do we receive the Holy Spirit? – He comes to us first in Baptism and then his power is refreshed in Confirmation.
· There are seven gifts given to us from the Holy Spirit. These are: JOY, LOVE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, UNDERSTANDING, REVERENCE (RESPECT) and COURAGE.
Come Holy Spirit,
And fill our hearts with your love.
Work through us to bring Jesus
To those who do not know him,
So that we may share his love with others
· The feast of Pentecost is the Church’s birthday. You could make a large birthday card to celebrate this. You could draw the scene in the house where the disciples were or write down the seven different gifts making them into gift tags. Take a photo of what you have made and send it to us at email@example.com. We will put some of them on our website.
· Collect different flags from other countries and
stick them on paper with a special prayer for the world.
· Write the closing prayer out on a piece of card or paper and colour around it the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Thank you for all the work you have sent to us so far .We will add more to the gallery each week. When our churches open again we will display your wonderful pictures.
Graphics used on thie page are either copyright free or used with permission.
We acknowldge the copyright of Kevin Mayhew Ltd and the free use of graphics from the following
All other images and photographs on this page are copyright to Our Lady of Hope Parish, Salford